Allison Moorer Announces New Album; Wade Hayes Returns to the Studio; Music Videos
- Wade Hayes is cancer-free and back in the studio working on a new album.
- Kacey Musgraves played “The Trailer Song” on The Tonight Show late last week. Musgraves has also recorded backing vocals for Brian Wilson’s next album.
- Steel Magnolia’s Meghan Linsey premiered a new song called “Try Harder Than That” that will be on her upcoming record.
- Thomas Rhett and Rhett Akins raised $40,000 for Great Strides Valdosta (a fundraising event held by The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation) by staging a benefit concert in honor of their cousin Sophie, who has been diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis. Our Golf & Guitars event in Sacramento last month contributed an additional $10,000 to the same charity.
- Allison Moorer announced on Twitter that her next album, Down to Believing, will be released on February 17, 2015.
- Craig Morgan dislocated his shoulder sparring with MMA fighter Dan Henderson.
- Kelly Clarkson gave birth to her new baby girl, River Rose Blackstock.
- Kellie Pickler is releasing a limited vinyl run of The Woman I Am on June 27.
- The songs of Kenny Chesney and Jake Owen will be featured in an off-Broadway play called Somewhere with You.
- Justin Moore is going to release his version of Motley Crue’s “Home Sweet Home” as his next single.
- Bluegrass musician Phil Leadbetter has announced that his Hodgkin’s lymphoma has returned. We wish him a speedy recovery.
- The diligent C.M. Wilcox posted a brand new Quotable Country at Country California.
- Ray Davies, Donovan, Graham Gouldman, Mark James and Jim Weatherly were inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame late last week in New York.
- Rolling Stone Country’s Beville Dunkerley profiled country songwriter Luke Laird. An excerpt: “I remember at one point I had 15 unreleased cuts — either they didn’t make the album or it was a new artist who lost a record deal…So you just keep grinding away. It was a little frustrating, but at the same time I’m still getting to wake up and go write songs. I still feel this way. I feel so grateful to actually do this for a living. It can be frustrating, but it still beats anything else I’d be doing.”
- In what could be the world’s most inaccurate statement, Eric Church believes he introduced beer into country music songs.
- Willie Nelson was on NPR. Listen here.
- Fox News: “Country music is not dead: Give bro country a chance.”
- One Flew South’s Eddie Bush was featured in a fun story about how one of his signature guitars has ended up in the Country Music Hall of Fame.
- New music videos and a couple of cool live performances from the past week or so:
Jennifer Nettles and Brandy Clark – “His Hands”
Jasmine Rae and Kellie Pickler – “Bad Boys Get Me Good”
John Berry – “Wrong Side of Memphis”
Jana Kramer – “Love”
Dustin Lynch – “Where It’s At”
The Swon Brothers – “Later On”
Jon Pardi – “What I Can’t Put Down”
Otis Gibbs – “Ghosts of Our Fathers”
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …