Alison Krauss Schedules New Album; ‘Garden & Gun’ Covers Bluegrass; Lost Highway Celebrates 10 Years
- On April 12, Alison Krauss will release a new album with Union Station titled Paper Airplane.
- Zac Brown isn’t sure why music has to be categorized:
“I don’t know why everybody wants to put everything in a box. It’s almost like profiling.”
If you want to define the Zac Brown Band musically, you’d be better off looking at their collaborators: Jackson and Jimmy Buffett appear on the group’s latest album; Brown guests on Kid Rock’s Born Free album; and they’ve performed on the Country Music Association awards show with Charlie Daniels and on the Grammys with Leon Russell.
Click through to watch video of Alan Jackson nonchalantly giving Brown a 1966 Cadillac Eldorado convertible.
- Farce the Music: Country Day January ’11
- The newest issue of Garden & Gun magazine highlights bluegrass music and bands ranging from Alison Krauss, Sam Bush, and Ralph Stanley to Darrell Scott, Old Crow Medicine Show, The Avett Brothers, and more. There’s even a six-page feature on Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers available online.
- The Boston Globe‘s James Reed on the new album from The Decemberists, The King Is Dead:
They ditched the pretense, reined in the guitars, and made a graceful country record. In a barn, no less.
Let’s clarify that: “country’’ as in the pastoral kind Neil Young and Bob Dylan recorded in the 1970s. For every acoustic guitar, there’s just as much pedal steel, tambourine, accordion, organ, and even bouzouki. [...] To summon the spirit of ’70s country rock, the band enlisted sepia-toned singer Gillian Welch for seven of the 10 songs; she essentially plays Emmylou Harris to Meloy’s Gram Parsons, and their voices blend together naturally.
- Paste has the exclusive premiere of Trent Dabbs‘ new video, “Follow Suit,” which they call a dark, alt-country tale about refusing to succumb to outside influences.
- Continuing with the not-quite-country-but-the-influence-is-definitely-there theme is the new album from Social Distortion, Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes. A full album stream is available on the band’s site.
- In celebration of its 10-year anniversary, Lost Highway Records will host a SXSW showcase and reissue/release a series of albums on limited edition clear vinyl, including Ryan Adams’ Gold, the soundtrack to O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Hayes Carll’s KMAG YOYO and the Drive By Truckers’ Southern Rock Opera.
Here’s video of the always lovely Trishas performing “Give It Away” at Steamboat.
- The new bluegrassy record from Jonathan Byrd, Cackalack, was recorded in a garage studio in Ontario in one take. Don’t let the fact this it was recorded in Canada deter you though, Folk Alley’s Jim Blum says the session captured a couple of gems.
- David Allan Coe comes in at #95 on Country Universe’s list of the 100 greatest men of country music.
- Eric Church has a new four-song EP out titled Caldwell County. (iTunes)
- The Whiskey Gentry and Jeremy Steding are two more bands/artists taking the Kickstarter route to raise funds for new albums. (via ninebullets.net)
- Carrie Rodriguez on her upcoming duet release with Ben Kyle, We Still Love Our Country:
She was insistent about her plan to “make a record of country songs … good ol’ country songs and then not be afraid to be country with it.”
“I think lately it’s almost people are afraid to be too country,” she explained over the phone from Austin, Texas, returning to the land she loves after living almost 10 years in Brooklyn, N.Y. “People say something’s too Americana and this and that and it’s not gonna do that well. But it was fun to go, ‘You know what, we’re gonna make a country album of real good country songs.’ “
- Sierra Hull‘s next album, Daybreak, is due out March 8.
- Chris King one-upped the free download trend by making both his EPs freaking free.
- While not quite freaking free, songwriter/journalist Dave Shiflett posted seven new songs that are still free. Here’s what he has to say about the tunes:
The lead track is a terrific country song, and “Old County Town” is a grassy tune. Also on the site you’ll find songs by Floor Creak which are all country.
Wanda Jackson brings the thunder:
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."
- Jack Williams: Lynch Blues - Corey Harris Countrycide (The Ballad of Ed and Charlie Brown) - Alvin Youngblood Hart Divine Object of Hatred - …
- TexasVet: Marty Robbins - The Hanging Tree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczpRc6_yBA
- Janice Brooks: Nice lineup I think I read today was the Emmett Till incident.
- Juli Thanki: For $2,000, I'd want to ride a unicorn in Central Park with Chely.
- luckyoldsun: Leann- I've biked a lot of laps around Central Park over the years. If I thought it would get me to …