Album Review: Lee Brice – Love Like Crazy
If the lyrics on Lee Brice’s debut album are any indication, the young singer likes things that don’t change: True love, small-town country living, neighborhood bars and the unpredictability of life. Hopefully his fans feel the same way, as the songs on Love Like Crazy steadfastly stay the clichéd course.
While almost every song can be classified under stereotypical Formative Backwoods Country-isms, Friday Night Hijinks and Old People Are Wise categories, Brice’s bewilderingly bizarre production choices and musical stylings are unpredictably jarring. Within a 45-minute span, listeners are jostled between rip-offs of Hank Williams, Jr., sleepy island songs reminiscent of Jack Johnson and spoken-word verses that would make Ke$ha proud.
Still, for an album that struggles with manic mediocrity, Love Like Crazy can claim at least one standout: “Four on the Floor,” an odd experiment in electronica, rap and rock music that comes close to tainting the entire collection, is easily the worst song of the year. Conversely, Brice shines brightest when channeling Clay Walker on “Beautiful Every Time,” playing with phrasing on “She Ain’t Right” and voicing his longing on the unfortunately titled “Happy Endings,” which earns points for mentioning Myrtle Beach in a country love song.
In the end, however, Brice is right–some things, including misguided attempts at debut albums, really never change.
- Both Kinds of Music: What an excellent team-up.
- Pam Wallace: A day like yesterday,...driving through Ohio countryside with leaves beginning to turn and cows lying in the pastures because every …
- Jackie Lester: My favorite part of autumn is seeing wooly bear caterpillars!
- Mike harris: Love fall with the warm glow of the sun and all the beautiful fall colors
- Richrd Simerson: Love good old bluegrass music
- Six String Richie: Studio A will be replaced with a dog park, condos and restaurants. Gentrification at it's finest.
- Denise Vernon: Full moon with smell of leaves burning.
- Lisa Phillips: Love the Radio Ramblers! My favorite thing about fall is everything pumpkin.....coffee, cookies, muffins, pie.....etc!
- Sabrina Parnell: Def the cooler temps, football, great food , holidays on the way ,and of course more good country music releases.
- Debbie W: the changing colors of the leaves