Alan Jackson’s “Good Time” Tops List of Country Dance Songs
- For the fifth consecutive year, a panel of more than 215 nightclubs and dance instructors throughout the country were surveyed to find the most requested and played country dance club songs of 2008. Country Music Is Love shared the results as announced by Marco Club Connection.
- For an article in the Los Angeles Chronicle, Tom Roland joined Kitty Wells at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum to reflect on the impact that her success had in opening the music industry to women. (via Twang Nation)
Here’s an interesting story from freelance writer Bobby McMahon: At the age of 17, Carlene Carter didn’t have enough money to buy her stepfather a present, so she wrote him a song titled “It Takes One To Know Me.” Johnny Cash and June Carter later recorded the song, but as McMahon explains, Carlene didn’t find out until they had passed away and John Carter Cash asked her to add vocals to the track. She didn’t think she’d ever sing with them, so it became a special song for her.
McMahon also notes that Carlene is currently working on a tribute album to her father, Carl Smith. (via ggcolumn)
- The video for Keith Urban‘s “Sweet Thing” will debut on MySpace this Friday (Jan. 16), marking the first country music video debut for the social networking site.
- Nashville Scene published the results of their ninth annual year-end critics poll. Seventy-four voters (including Managing Editor Jim Malec and Podcast Host Kelly Dearmore) turned in ballots and the Scene explains that Jamey Johnson was as near unanimous for the top spot as a group of music writers is ever going to be. (Results)
- Watch the new video for Jamie O’Neal‘s “Like A Woman.” (via That Nashville Sound)
- Steve Earle comments on his relationship with Townes Van Zandt and the tribute album he’s currently working on in an interview with Brian Braiker for Rolling Stone. (via Twang Nation)
- The Zac Brown Band added a new member.
- A new album titled A Stranger Here, scheduled for an April 7 release, finds Ramblin’ Jack Elliott interpreting country blues music from the Depression era of his birth.
- Aaron Tippin‘s new album, In Overdrive, is a dedication to truckers. It’s scheduled for a Feb. 3 release.
- Country Weekly published a few internet-only outtakes from Chris Neal’s interview with Blake Shelton. He discusses the process for selecting singles, supporting Miranda’s desire to barrel race and Oklahomans’ innate sense of humor.
- Janson Media is releasing the one-hour documentary special The Gospel Music of Johnny Cash: A Story of Faith & Redemption, hosted by Dan Rather, to international television markets. (Watch the trailer)
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.