Alan Jackson Splits with Longtime Label; Bloodshot Signs Lydia Loveless; The Steep Canyon Rangers Celebrate 10 Years
After 22 years together, Alan Jackson and Arista Nashville are parting ways. As for a future label home, Jackson’s manager says there’s currently three options that look really good, but doesn’t mention what they are. Our Country’s Chris Willman gets more into the specifics of what the split means.
Something else to think about: Trace Adkins recently switched labels to join his buddy Toby Keith, who has had success doing things his way. Another guy having success doing things his way is Zac Brown, who has been pretty chummy with Jackson lately. Anyone think we might see those two take the Adkins/Keith route and join forces?
- Here’s a behind the scenes look at songwriting with Dierks Bentley.
- Not only did Alabama record “Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way” for a new Waylon Jennings tribute project, the band filmed a video too.
- Billboard is adding a new chart to chart the uncharted. It’s actually called “Uncharted” and aims to rank artists who haven’t appeared on any of Billboard‘s other charts using criteria like YouTube clicks, MySpace Music page views, and Twitter traffic.
- Bloodshot Records signed Lydia Loveless with plans to release an album in the fall. (MySpace)
- Eric Church went acoustic for a Mountain Stage appearance back in 2008.
- Last year’s traveling Country Throwdown show has morphed into Willie Nelson‘s Country Throwdown Tour 2011 and includes acts such as Jamey Johnson, Randy Houser, Lee Brice and Lukas Nelson & the Promise of the Real.
- Hey look, Gurf Morlix‘s tribute record Blaze Foley’s 113th Wet Dream is available to download. Official release date is Feb. 1. (via Hickory Wind)
- The Steep Canyon Rangers have been going 10 years.
- Word has it Kristen Kelly and her band the Modern Day Drifters are on the verge of signing with Sony Nashville. (MySpace)
- Beginning March 17, Dierks Bentley will head out on his 30-city Jägermeister Country Tour with Josh Thompson, Miss Willie Brown (MySpace) and a different local act in each city.
- Ben Nichols of Lucero fame has a new song.
- Little Jimmy Dickens celebrated his 90th birthday at Rippy’s Bar and Grill Wednesday night.
- Stephen M. Deusner: “The smartest thing Social Distortion ever did was embrace country music.”
- Watch the EPK for Hayes Carll‘s new album KMAG YOYO over at Songs:Illinois.
- Last.fm has a multi-part audio interview with Ashton Shepherd as part of its Discover series: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4
- UPDATE: Congrats to Juli Thanki, who was announced as one of the participants in the 2011 class of Leadership Bluegrass.
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."