Alan Jackson Splits with Longtime Label; Bloodshot Signs Lydia Loveless; The Steep Canyon Rangers Celebrate 10 Years
After 22 years together, Alan Jackson and Arista Nashville are parting ways. As for a future label home, Jackson’s manager says there’s currently three options that look really good, but doesn’t mention what they are. Our Country’s Chris Willman gets more into the specifics of what the split means.
Something else to think about: Trace Adkins recently switched labels to join his buddy Toby Keith, who has had success doing things his way. Another guy having success doing things his way is Zac Brown, who has been pretty chummy with Jackson lately. Anyone think we might see those two take the Adkins/Keith route and join forces?
- Here’s a behind the scenes look at songwriting with Dierks Bentley.
- Not only did Alabama record “Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way” for a new Waylon Jennings tribute project, the band filmed a video too.
- Billboard is adding a new chart to chart the uncharted. It’s actually called “Uncharted” and aims to rank artists who haven’t appeared on any of Billboard‘s other charts using criteria like YouTube clicks, MySpace Music page views, and Twitter traffic.
- Bloodshot Records signed Lydia Loveless with plans to release an album in the fall. (MySpace)
- Eric Church went acoustic for a Mountain Stage appearance back in 2008.
- Last year’s traveling Country Throwdown show has morphed into Willie Nelson‘s Country Throwdown Tour 2011 and includes acts such as Jamey Johnson, Randy Houser, Lee Brice and Lukas Nelson & the Promise of the Real.
- Hey look, Gurf Morlix‘s tribute record Blaze Foley’s 113th Wet Dream is available to download. Official release date is Feb. 1. (via Hickory Wind)
- The Steep Canyon Rangers have been going 10 years.
- Word has it Kristen Kelly and her band the Modern Day Drifters are on the verge of signing with Sony Nashville. (MySpace)
- Beginning March 17, Dierks Bentley will head out on his 30-city Jägermeister Country Tour with Josh Thompson, Miss Willie Brown (MySpace) and a different local act in each city.
- Ben Nichols of Lucero fame has a new song.
- Little Jimmy Dickens celebrated his 90th birthday at Rippy’s Bar and Grill Wednesday night.
- Stephen M. Deusner: “The smartest thing Social Distortion ever did was embrace country music.”
- Watch the EPK for Hayes Carll‘s new album KMAG YOYO over at Songs:Illinois.
- Last.fm has a multi-part audio interview with Ashton Shepherd as part of its Discover series: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4
- UPDATE: Congrats to Juli Thanki, who was announced as one of the participants in the 2011 class of Leadership Bluegrass.
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.
- luckyoldsun: I seem to recall hearing a recording of the Christmas song "Walking in the Winter Wonderland" where the line "In …
- Leeann Ward: For a slow new Christmas music year, the announcement of the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP and the Christmas tracks by …
- chris: That voice singing with Jim Ed is younger sister Bonnie, also a member of the Browns.