Alan Jackson Splits with Longtime Label; Bloodshot Signs Lydia Loveless; The Steep Canyon Rangers Celebrate 10 Years
After 22 years together, Alan Jackson and Arista Nashville are parting ways. As for a future label home, Jackson’s manager says there’s currently three options that look really good, but doesn’t mention what they are. Our Country’s Chris Willman gets more into the specifics of what the split means.
Something else to think about: Trace Adkins recently switched labels to join his buddy Toby Keith, who has had success doing things his way. Another guy having success doing things his way is Zac Brown, who has been pretty chummy with Jackson lately. Anyone think we might see those two take the Adkins/Keith route and join forces?
- Here’s a behind the scenes look at songwriting with Dierks Bentley.
- Not only did Alabama record “Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way” for a new Waylon Jennings tribute project, the band filmed a video too.
- Billboard is adding a new chart to chart the uncharted. It’s actually called “Uncharted” and aims to rank artists who haven’t appeared on any of Billboard‘s other charts using criteria like YouTube clicks, MySpace Music page views, and Twitter traffic.
- Bloodshot Records signed Lydia Loveless with plans to release an album in the fall. (MySpace)
- Eric Church went acoustic for a Mountain Stage appearance back in 2008.
- Last year’s traveling Country Throwdown show has morphed into Willie Nelson‘s Country Throwdown Tour 2011 and includes acts such as Jamey Johnson, Randy Houser, Lee Brice and Lukas Nelson & the Promise of the Real.
- Hey look, Gurf Morlix‘s tribute record Blaze Foley’s 113th Wet Dream is available to download. Official release date is Feb. 1. (via Hickory Wind)
- The Steep Canyon Rangers have been going 10 years.
- Word has it Kristen Kelly and her band the Modern Day Drifters are on the verge of signing with Sony Nashville. (MySpace)
- Beginning March 17, Dierks Bentley will head out on his 30-city Jägermeister Country Tour with Josh Thompson, Miss Willie Brown (MySpace) and a different local act in each city.
- Ben Nichols of Lucero fame has a new song.
- Little Jimmy Dickens celebrated his 90th birthday at Rippy’s Bar and Grill Wednesday night.
- Stephen M. Deusner: “The smartest thing Social Distortion ever did was embrace country music.”
- Watch the EPK for Hayes Carll‘s new album KMAG YOYO over at Songs:Illinois.
- Last.fm has a multi-part audio interview with Ashton Shepherd as part of its Discover series: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4
- UPDATE: Congrats to Juli Thanki, who was announced as one of the participants in the 2011 class of Leadership Bluegrass.
- luckyoldsun: And sometimes she breaks into "I Fought the Law and the Law Won."
- bob: @Leeann - Don Schlitz's wife Stacy is also a good singer. At some of his shows, she'll sing a song …
- Leeann: It's hardly on topic, but Don Schlitz's wife is an actual lawyer.
- Erik North: I like that list of country songs that Laura Cantrell drew up for people who are suspicious of the genre. …
- Leeann: Thank you for linking to my discussion. To clarify, they're not so much my favorite Dad songs, but rather, songs …
- Jack: "I got turned off a not so new guy’s music after he started recording songs like “Get Drunk and Be …
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …