Acuff, Rogers & Evans, and Monroe Head to Grammy Hall of Fame; Unfinished Hank Williams Song Finally Released
The Recording Academy inducted 25 songs into the Grammy Hall of Fame yesterday. Songs in the country category are:
- On the surface, Rosanne Cash and Ricky Skaggs don’t appear to be a lot alike, but Barry Mazor finds parallels between their careers and latest records, consisting of songs their fathers loved, in his article for The Wall Street Journal.
- Michael Corcoran profiled Ryan Bingham for Austin 360 and noted that his next record, due out early next year, will be produced by T-Bone Burnett.
- InContention.com’s Kristopher Tapley considers the new Ryan Bingham song “The Weary Kind” the frontrunner in the Best Original Song category for the Oscars.
- Ashley Monroe on writing “Me and Your Cigarettes” with Miranda Lambert:
“Me and Your Cigarettes” was actually called “Your Cigarettes and Me,” and there was a whole another melody, but I had these words. I went to her house in Lindale, Texas, right before [2007's Crazy Ex-Girlfriend] album came out. We were sitting on her back deck and she finished it with me. She liked the idea. … She called me the day they cut it, and she goes, “I just wanted to tell you that Blake [Shelton] and I were kind of fiddling with it, and it’s kind of changed a bit. It’s still our words, but it’s a different beat, and we’ve changed it to ‘Me and Your Cigarettes.'” I went to the studio and heard it and was like, “Oh, please. This is amazing.” She was like, “I hope you’re not mad.” Are you kidding me?
- The Boot listed the 10 biggest news maker songs of the 2000s.
- Watch the new Marcel-produced video for Randy Kohrs‘ song “Shallow Grave.”
- Live video recordings of Carrie Underwood, Jake Owen, Martina McBride, and Rodney Atkins are currently streaming on the Grand Ole Opry MySpace page. (via Country Standard Time)
- In 1958, Hank Williams‘ first wife, Audrey, approached Glenn D. Tubb about finishing a song that Hank had started. Because of a list of circumstances, the song was never released, until now. Tubb met Jennifer Brantley earlier this year and agreed to let her record the song “Heartbroken Forsaken and Alone.” Listen to it on her MySpace. (via That Nashville Sound)
- Watch Lorrie Morgan in studio performing Patsy Cline‘s classic “Leavin’ on Your Mind.”
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.
- luckyoldsun: Maybe he was just changing out of his hunting clothes. At least he didn't do the full Randy...um Monty.
- Donald: If you haven't heard...this one is a bit bizarre: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/johnny-cash-s-son-arrested-at-deer-lake-airport-after-removing-his-clothes-1.2814697?cmp=rss I think the link says almost all....