Acuff, Rogers & Evans, and Monroe Head to Grammy Hall of Fame; Unfinished Hank Williams Song Finally Released
The Recording Academy inducted 25 songs into the Grammy Hall of Fame yesterday. Songs in the country category are:
- On the surface, Rosanne Cash and Ricky Skaggs don’t appear to be a lot alike, but Barry Mazor finds parallels between their careers and latest records, consisting of songs their fathers loved, in his article for The Wall Street Journal.
- Michael Corcoran profiled Ryan Bingham for Austin 360 and noted that his next record, due out early next year, will be produced by T-Bone Burnett.
- InContention.com’s Kristopher Tapley considers the new Ryan Bingham song “The Weary Kind” the frontrunner in the Best Original Song category for the Oscars.
- Ashley Monroe on writing “Me and Your Cigarettes” with Miranda Lambert:
“Me and Your Cigarettes” was actually called “Your Cigarettes and Me,” and there was a whole another melody, but I had these words. I went to her house in Lindale, Texas, right before [2007’s Crazy Ex-Girlfriend] album came out. We were sitting on her back deck and she finished it with me. She liked the idea. … She called me the day they cut it, and she goes, “I just wanted to tell you that Blake [Shelton] and I were kind of fiddling with it, and it’s kind of changed a bit. It’s still our words, but it’s a different beat, and we’ve changed it to ‘Me and Your Cigarettes.'” I went to the studio and heard it and was like, “Oh, please. This is amazing.” She was like, “I hope you’re not mad.” Are you kidding me?
- The Boot listed the 10 biggest news maker songs of the 2000s.
- Watch the new Marcel-produced video for Randy Kohrs‘ song “Shallow Grave.”
- Live video recordings of Carrie Underwood, Jake Owen, Martina McBride, and Rodney Atkins are currently streaming on the Grand Ole Opry MySpace page. (via Country Standard Time)
- In 1958, Hank Williams‘ first wife, Audrey, approached Glenn D. Tubb about finishing a song that Hank had started. Because of a list of circumstances, the song was never released, until now. Tubb met Jennifer Brantley earlier this year and agreed to let her record the song “Heartbroken Forsaken and Alone.” Listen to it on her MySpace. (via That Nashville Sound)
- Watch Lorrie Morgan in studio performing Patsy Cline‘s classic “Leavin’ on Your Mind.”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.