Actor Kevin Costner Records Country Album; Drops Nov. 11
- Actor Kevin Costner plans to drop a country-rock album on Nov. 11 and become musician Kevin Costner. Actually, he’s been playing with some of his band mates for nearly 20 years and this is just one of his dreams. The album, recorded with his band Modern West, is set to consist of 12 original tunes, half of which were co-written by himself. Here’s to hoping that we get Costner in Dances With Wolves form rather than Swing Vote.
- New releases for the week of 9/30/08 include:
- Late last week Justin Townes Earle announced that he hoped to start recording a new album in October and would be shooting for an early 2009 release.
- Keith Urban led the audience at the Grand Ole Opry on Saturday night in serenading Marty Stuart with “Happy Birthday” for the singer’s 50th birthday, which happens to be today.
Stuart later joined Urban onstage. As the two friends sat down, Stuart revealed what he really wanted for his birthday.
“I saw your car parked out there in the lot,” he said, referring to Urban’s sleek black Bentley. “How about if for my birthday we trade vehicles?”
Urban laughed as he replied, “Sure. As long as I get to keep your John Deere license plate when we trade back.”
- When the new edition of Nashville Lifestyles hits news stands tomorrow, Jewel will be ranked atop a list of the “25 Most Beautiful People In Music City.” Others making appearances on the list include Chuck Wicks and GAC personality Nan Kelley. (via ggcolumn)
- Daily Trivia: The Grand Ole Opry was first televised today in 1950. Eight years later to the day, Marty Stuart was born. It’s a birthday that he shares with Eddie Montgomery of Montgomery Gentry, who was born in 1963.
- In the realm of sad songs, of which country music has its fair share, Erik Rydstedt lays claim to Hank Williams‘ “My Son Calls Another Man Daddy” as his personal favorite.
- In an interview with Edward Morris, Heidi Newfield makes the comparison between her song “Knocked Up” and Loretta Lynn’s “The Pill,” and she dishes on her decision to leave Trick Pony.
“I waited, and I fulfilled all of my obligations with them. I didn’t quit midway or anything like that. It was tough. There were a lot of hard feelings on their part and a lot of bitterness. And they made it pretty hard on me there those last couple of months. … But I felt like I could hold my head up high and left with character and dignity.”
- Game Revolution posted a few in-game screenshots–featuring Taylor Swift, Kenny Chesney, Jewel and Big & Rich–from the PS2 version of SingStar Country.
- I have no clue on how to measure a golfer’s handicap, but if you do, you might be interested in Golf Digest Magazine‘s ranking of the top 100 musicians who play golf. It’s littered with country stars.
- Watch Randy Kohrs perform “Shallow Grave” at Station Inn from his showcase at the Americana Music Association.
- Update: Check the forums for a recap of Wade Bowen‘s album release party in Dallas, TX last night.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.