Actor Kevin Costner Records Country Album; Drops Nov. 11
- Actor Kevin Costner plans to drop a country-rock album on Nov. 11 and become musician Kevin Costner. Actually, he’s been playing with some of his band mates for nearly 20 years and this is just one of his dreams. The album, recorded with his band Modern West, is set to consist of 12 original tunes, half of which were co-written by himself. Here’s to hoping that we get Costner in Dances With Wolves form rather than Swing Vote.
- New releases for the week of 9/30/08 include:
- Late last week Justin Townes Earle announced that he hoped to start recording a new album in October and would be shooting for an early 2009 release.
- Keith Urban led the audience at the Grand Ole Opry on Saturday night in serenading Marty Stuart with “Happy Birthday” for the singer’s 50th birthday, which happens to be today.
Stuart later joined Urban onstage. As the two friends sat down, Stuart revealed what he really wanted for his birthday.
“I saw your car parked out there in the lot,” he said, referring to Urban’s sleek black Bentley. “How about if for my birthday we trade vehicles?”
Urban laughed as he replied, “Sure. As long as I get to keep your John Deere license plate when we trade back.”
- When the new edition of Nashville Lifestyles hits news stands tomorrow, Jewel will be ranked atop a list of the “25 Most Beautiful People In Music City.” Others making appearances on the list include Chuck Wicks and GAC personality Nan Kelley. (via ggcolumn)
- Daily Trivia: The Grand Ole Opry was first televised today in 1950. Eight years later to the day, Marty Stuart was born. It’s a birthday that he shares with Eddie Montgomery of Montgomery Gentry, who was born in 1963.
- In the realm of sad songs, of which country music has its fair share, Erik Rydstedt lays claim to Hank Williams‘ “My Son Calls Another Man Daddy” as his personal favorite.
- In an interview with Edward Morris, Heidi Newfield makes the comparison between her song “Knocked Up” and Loretta Lynn’s “The Pill,” and she dishes on her decision to leave Trick Pony.
“I waited, and I fulfilled all of my obligations with them. I didn’t quit midway or anything like that. It was tough. There were a lot of hard feelings on their part and a lot of bitterness. And they made it pretty hard on me there those last couple of months. … But I felt like I could hold my head up high and left with character and dignity.”
- Game Revolution posted a few in-game screenshots–featuring Taylor Swift, Kenny Chesney, Jewel and Big & Rich–from the PS2 version of SingStar Country.
- I have no clue on how to measure a golfer’s handicap, but if you do, you might be interested in Golf Digest Magazine‘s ranking of the top 100 musicians who play golf. It’s littered with country stars.
- Watch Randy Kohrs perform “Shallow Grave” at Station Inn from his showcase at the Americana Music Association.
- Update: Check the forums for a recap of Wade Bowen‘s album release party in Dallas, TX last night.
- Paul W Dennis: MLB playoffs and the weather here in Florida finally cooling off a little. Also we get the Palatka Bluegrass Festival …
- Tony Branscomb: Peaceful Quiet Days In The Woods Watching Wildlife Playing.
- jenny patrick: my favorite part of autumn is the smell of a bonfire to roast weiners and marshmallows on .
- jeanie kinman: My favorite part of Autumn is all the festivals with bands playing Bluegrass music..Come on down to Ky Joe Mullins …
- Keith Saterwhite: My favorite part of Autumn are the beautiful colors on the trees, here in the foothills of the Blueridge Mountains.
- phillip Martinez: Thanks Joe, for always the great music.
- Martin DeSimio: Fresh apple cider.
- Jessica Whited: My favorite part of autumn is the chance to have bonfires with my friends and family.
- Sandy Kapphahn: Love the fall colors!
- Erik North: Caitlin Rose has become one of my favorite female singers of any genre in this century; and I think her …