ACM Opens Voting For Entertainer of the Year
- Voting for the ACM Entertainer of the Year is now open to the fans. Nominees for the April 5 award show include Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, George Strait, Carrie Underwood and Keith Urban.
Album releases for the week of March 17, 2009 include:
Anita Carter – Songbird (Compilation)
Bucktown Kickback – Fiction
- Several events at this week’s SXSW will pay tribute to the music of Doug Sahm and next week (March 24) co-producers Bill Bentley, Shawn Sahm and David Katznelson will release Keep Your Soul: A Tribute to Doug Sahm. Listen to several of Sahm’s songs at Austin360.
- For all of Eric Church‘s outlaw bravado, Sarah Rodman says he “doesn’t ignore basic Music City rules about production; obvious singles like ‘Ain’t Killed Me Yet’ sound as bright as anything on contemporary pop-country radio. Thankfully, though, the singer-songwriter imbues his work with real soul…”
- In an effort to properly introduce Sugarland‘s music to Britain, where the duo is currently on tour, their song “All I Want To Do” was remixed to remove a little of the twang.
- One No Depression blogger says the Joe Nick Patoski biography An Epic Life is not a Willie Nelson for Dummies, rather, it aims to please the Willieologist, and he boiled the book down to ten topics that readers learn about. And for his monumental undertaking, Patoski will pick up a TCU Texas Book Award on Thursday, which is given to the author of the best book about Texas.
- Martina McBride discusses the possibility of a gay mainstream country star in her interview with Out magazine.
- After a hiatus from performing, Gary Bennet, former singer and co-frontman of BR-549, now has a regular gig at on Wednesdays at the Full Moon Saloon in Nashville with his newly reformed band, the McNeills.
- Listen to Brad Paisley‘s new single, “Then,” at CountryMusicIsLove before he debuts it on American Idol this week.
- BMI saluted Blake Shelton and songwriters Cory Batten and Jennifer Adan last Friday (March 13) at the No. 1 party for “She Wouldn’t Be Gone,” and Shelton shared the stories of his first two encounters with George Strait, who he’ll be going on tour with this year.
- In an article published yesterday, My Kind of Country’s J.R. Journey remembered the plane crash that took the lives of Reba McEntire‘s band on March 16, 1991.
- Darius Rucker‘s brand of country may do the trick for radio, but Joey Guerra says the former prince of frat-boy rock earned the biggest responses at RodeoHouston on Monday night when he reached into his back catalog.
- Toby Keith‘s record label, Show Dog Nashville, signed singer and songwriter Mac McAnally.
- David Allan Coe wears close to 70 years of rough living on his face and had to be helped on stage at his gig in Port St. Lucie, Florida last week, but forum member Mike K. says the diverse crowd afforded the aging outlaw the respect and energy he deserved as he covered songs from Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson to John Prine and even Kid Rock.
- Daytrotter.com has six free downloads from a Justin Townes Earle session back in Septemeber ’08. (via Hickory Wind)
- To celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, list your favorite Irish-influenced country songs in the comments.
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …