ACM Honors to Salute Kristofferson, Milsap; Studio A Building Sold; New Album Releases
- This year’s ACM Honors, which will be held at the Ryman on September 9, will salute Kris Kristofferson and Dean Dillon (recipients of the Poet’s Award), Cowboy Jack Clement and Buck Owens (posthumous recipients of the Poet’s Award), Toby Keith and Ronnie Milsap (Career Achievement Awards), Carrie Underwood (Gene Weed Special Achievement Award) and several more. Check out the full list of honorees here.
- Check out Holly Williams’ damn good cover of “No Surrender” from upcoming Born in the USA tribute album Dead Man’s Town.
- The building that houses Studio A has been sold to Tim Reynolds’ Bravo Development. The Nashville Scene reports that according to the deed, “lease agreements with the building’s current tenants will continue under pre-existing conditions.” Reynolds says the building is in poor condition, with asbestos, mold, and other issues that need fixing; he is also in talks with out of state developers who have shown a “strong interest” in the property.
- Parker Millsap unveiled a new song, “Hades’ Plea,” when performing for CMT’s Concrete Country. Watch here.
- The Birthplace of Country Music Museum opens in Bristol, Virginia this weekend.
- Get the story behind “A Good Year for the Roses” with this video interview of songwriter Jerry Chesnut.
- David Nail announced his I’m a Fire Tour, which will kick off in Oxford, Mississippi on September 11.
- Go behind the scenes with The Bankesters as they shoot the video for “Found,” a song written in support of This Able Veteran, an organization that trains service dogs for veterans who are suffering from PTSD.
- Jewly Hight interviewed Jean Shepard for CMT Edge.
- The Music Maker Relief Foundation turns 20 this year.
- Listen to Pokey LaFarge’s Newport Folk Fest set. (warning: autoplay)
- Vote in Farce the Music’s Bummer Song of the Summer Poll.
- Dale Watson discusses Ameripolitan and The Truckin’ Sessions in this article posted on The 615.
- Here’s Billy Joe Shaver’s version of “Music City, USA” from Long in the Tooth, which comes out next week.
- Toby Keith topped Forbes’ list of the year’s highest-paid country stars, raking in $65 million.
- Graceland’s annual Elvis Week begins August 8 (here’s the full schedule of events); iPad-wielding visitors will now be able to take a guided tour, and on August 14, there will be an auction of various Presley artifacts.
- Brad Paisley put together a video preview for his forthcoming album Moonshine in the Trunk, but it looks like his label isn’t too happy about it. Or it’s all a carefully engineered publicity stunt.
- A Kickstarter has been launched to help fund a television special celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Carter Family Fold.
- Chris Young tells Rolling Stone that he’s influenced by everybody from Keith Whitley to Boyz II Men.
- Vice premiered “Time Shows Fools” from Justin Townes Earle’s new record, Single Mothers (out in September).
- Tim McGraw’s next album, the unfortunately named Sundown Heaven Town, will be released on September 16. It features a duet with Kid Rock.
- Download a couple songs from The Christian Lopez Band’s upcoming, Dave Cobb-produced EP on NoiseTrade.
- Hunter Hayes released his “Tattoo” video.
- Entertainment Weekly premiered Buffalo Clover’s “Hey, Child.”
- Blue Highway’s Jason Burleson was hospitalized with a bleeding stomach ulcer while on tour in France.
- This week’s album releases:
Noel McKay – Is That So Much to Ask
The Carmonas – The Carmonas
Marc Broussard – A Life Worth Living
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers – Hypnotic Eye
Eric Clapton & Friends (Willie Nelson, Derek Trucks, and more) – The Breeze: An Appreciation of JJ Cale
The Allman Brothers Band – The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings
The Everly Brothers – The Cadence Sessions, 1957-1960
- And a DVD:
Country Classic Singers (a five-disc collection featuring live footage and remembrances of George Jones, Marty Robbins, Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, and Waylon Jennings)
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.