ACM Awards Post Biggest Ratings Since 1998; Avett Brothers to Headline Newport Folk Festival; Album Releases
- The new Brad Paisley-LL Cool J collaboration, “Accidental Racist,” blew up across the internet yesterday afternoon. Here’s a USA Today interview with Paisley as well (warning: autoplay).
- Sunday night’s ACM Awards were watched by 15.38 million viewers, the highest ratings these awards have seen since 1998.
- The Avett Brothers will headline the 2013 Newport Folk Festival. Iris DeMent, JD McPherson, and Jason Isbell are a few of the acts slated to play at the summer festival.
- Speaking of JD McPherson, check out the new video for “Scratching Circles.”
- Here are a couple videos of Sarah Jarosz’s Bachelor of Music recital at the New England Conservatory.
- CMT Edge posted a new Dailey & Vincent video for “Steel Drivin’ Man,” a song that’ll appear on their Brothers of the Highway album (due out in May).
- Ronnie Dunn will guest on Kelly Clarkson’s Christmas album.
- The Flatlanders were featured in the Chicago Tribune.
- Sara Watkins played “You and Me” for CMT Edge.
- Dustin Pyrtle is the new guitar player and vocalist for Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, taking the place of Mike Rogers.
- Out June 25: Mavis Staples’ second Jeff Tweedy-produced album, One True Vine. Listen to a cut from the record here.
- Joey + Rory finished recording a gospel album that’s due out in July.
- The Southern Folklife Collection at UNC posted several photos from their “Visualizing American Roots Music” exhibit, including shots of Kitty Wells and Johnnie Wright, Minnie Pearl, Buck Owens, and The Maddox Brothers and Rose.
- The NPR music blog posted a 1997 appearance by John Prine on Mountain Stage.
- Here’s a more recent Mountain Stage performance, courtesy of Calexico.
- Trisha Yearwood, Toby Keith, Tim McGraw, and more will appear on upcoming album Alabama and Friends. From Billboard.com: The album, which will feature members of Alabama duetting with the acts on some of the tracks—similar to Lionel Richie’s tremendously successful “Tuskegee” set— will come out in the third quarter, says Show Dog Universal Music president Mark Wright.
- Eric Burdon is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week.
- This DigitalMusicNews.com animated series of pie charts shows “revenue contribution from various formats, 1973-present, based on RIAA revenue figures.” Watching the rise and fall of CD sales is kind of hypnotic.
- Sammy Kershaw accidentally started a house fire: “Kershaw said he had left his home Thursday evening when he remembered he was supposed to bring some of his own, “Sammy Kershaw Cajun Spices,” to a friend so he returned to the house. He said he grabbed three cans of the spice blend and was headed out again when apparently the box that held the spices slid onto his stove, catching two of the knobs that ignite the burners. There were papers and other items on the countertops near and on the stove, he said. ‘That’s likely what caught fire,’ he said.” There was smoke damage, but no injuries or structural damage.
- CMT Edge’s Stephen Deusner interviewed Reid Morrison of Treetop Flyers.
- Here’s a new Nora Jane Struthers and the Party Line video.
- Night Beds covered pop singer Robyn for The A.V. Club. (warning: autoplay)
- Rascal Flatts and Journey are playing together one more, at a show in Hershey, Penn. on August 1. The Band Perry and Cassadee Pope will open.
- This is a neat video of Bryan Sutton, Ronnie McCoury, Noam Pikelny, Luke Bulla, and Barry Bales playing “The Train That Carried My Girl from Town.”
- Luella and the Sun were on World Café.
- Rhonda Vincent was featured on Kansas.com.
- Album releases:
Brad Paisley – Wheelhouse
Eric Church – Caught in the Act: Live
Marc Broussard – Live from Full Sail University
Chuck Wicks – Rough
Nathan Stanley – The Legacy Continues
Dawes – Stories Don’t End
Deadstring Brothers – Cannery Row
Lauren Mann & The Fairly Odd Folk – Over Land and Sea
Mark Newton & Steve Thomas – Reborn
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.