ACM Awards Post Biggest Ratings Since 1998; Avett Brothers to Headline Newport Folk Festival; Album Releases
- The new Brad Paisley-LL Cool J collaboration, “Accidental Racist,” blew up across the internet yesterday afternoon. Here’s a USA Today interview with Paisley as well (warning: autoplay).
- Sunday night’s ACM Awards were watched by 15.38 million viewers, the highest ratings these awards have seen since 1998.
- The Avett Brothers will headline the 2013 Newport Folk Festival. Iris DeMent, JD McPherson, and Jason Isbell are a few of the acts slated to play at the summer festival.
- Speaking of JD McPherson, check out the new video for “Scratching Circles.”
- Here are a couple videos of Sarah Jarosz’s Bachelor of Music recital at the New England Conservatory.
- CMT Edge posted a new Dailey & Vincent video for “Steel Drivin’ Man,” a song that’ll appear on their Brothers of the Highway album (due out in May).
- Ronnie Dunn will guest on Kelly Clarkson’s Christmas album.
- The Flatlanders were featured in the Chicago Tribune.
- Sara Watkins played “You and Me” for CMT Edge.
- Dustin Pyrtle is the new guitar player and vocalist for Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, taking the place of Mike Rogers.
- Out June 25: Mavis Staples’ second Jeff Tweedy-produced album, One True Vine. Listen to a cut from the record here.
- Joey + Rory finished recording a gospel album that’s due out in July.
- The Southern Folklife Collection at UNC posted several photos from their “Visualizing American Roots Music” exhibit, including shots of Kitty Wells and Johnnie Wright, Minnie Pearl, Buck Owens, and The Maddox Brothers and Rose.
- The NPR music blog posted a 1997 appearance by John Prine on Mountain Stage.
- Here’s a more recent Mountain Stage performance, courtesy of Calexico.
- Trisha Yearwood, Toby Keith, Tim McGraw, and more will appear on upcoming album Alabama and Friends. From Billboard.com: The album, which will feature members of Alabama duetting with the acts on some of the tracks—similar to Lionel Richie’s tremendously successful “Tuskegee” set— will come out in the third quarter, says Show Dog Universal Music president Mark Wright.
- Eric Burdon is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week.
- This DigitalMusicNews.com animated series of pie charts shows “revenue contribution from various formats, 1973-present, based on RIAA revenue figures.” Watching the rise and fall of CD sales is kind of hypnotic.
- Sammy Kershaw accidentally started a house fire: “Kershaw said he had left his home Thursday evening when he remembered he was supposed to bring some of his own, “Sammy Kershaw Cajun Spices,” to a friend so he returned to the house. He said he grabbed three cans of the spice blend and was headed out again when apparently the box that held the spices slid onto his stove, catching two of the knobs that ignite the burners. There were papers and other items on the countertops near and on the stove, he said. ‘That’s likely what caught fire,’ he said.” There was smoke damage, but no injuries or structural damage.
- CMT Edge’s Stephen Deusner interviewed Reid Morrison of Treetop Flyers.
- Here’s a new Nora Jane Struthers and the Party Line video.
- Night Beds covered pop singer Robyn for The A.V. Club. (warning: autoplay)
- Rascal Flatts and Journey are playing together one more, at a show in Hershey, Penn. on August 1. The Band Perry and Cassadee Pope will open.
- This is a neat video of Bryan Sutton, Ronnie McCoury, Noam Pikelny, Luke Bulla, and Barry Bales playing “The Train That Carried My Girl from Town.”
- Luella and the Sun were on World Café.
- Rhonda Vincent was featured on Kansas.com.
- Album releases:
Brad Paisley – Wheelhouse
Eric Church – Caught in the Act: Live
Marc Broussard – Live from Full Sail University
Chuck Wicks – Rough
Nathan Stanley – The Legacy Continues
Dawes – Stories Don’t End
Deadstring Brothers – Cannery Row
Lauren Mann & The Fairly Odd Folk – Over Land and Sea
Mark Newton & Steve Thomas – Reborn
- Juli Thanki: For $2,000, I'd want to ride a unicorn in Central Park with Chely.
- luckyoldsun: Leann- I've biked a lot of laps around Central Park over the years. If I thought it would get me to …
- Leeann: No offense to Chely Wright, but while I expect that she will make a good album, asking for $175,000 seems …
- Juli Thanki: Ha! The best way to celebrate Connie Smith Day is by marrying a younger man. Mullet optional.
- nm: But was it Connie Smith Day all day long and then from dusk to dawn?
- Deremy Jylan: I heard that Jim Lauderdale documentary is some super-duper great movie stuff. Makes Scorsese's THE LAST WALTZ look like Wiseau's …
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …