ACM Awards Performers Announced; Peter Cooper On Co-Writing; Free Court Yard Hounds
- Kenny Chesney, Carrie Underwood, Tim McGraw, and Reba McEntire are among the acts announced to perform at the ACM Awards, along with Lady Antebellum, Jason Aldean, Brooks & Dunn, Trace Adkins and Blake Shelton.
- It’s time for another edition of photoshopped albums covers from Farce the Music.
Peter Cooper tackles songwriting, and more specifically co-writing, in several articles for The Tennessean.
In the first, he interviewed Odie Blackmon (the songwriter behind Lee Ann Womack‘s “I May Hate Myself In The Morning,” Gary Allan‘s “Nothing On But The Radio,” and George Strait‘s “She’ll Leave You With A Smile), who has a DVD out titled The Craft of Writing Hit Songs.
Another interview, conducted through email, publisher and producer Frank Liddell questions the writing abilities and motives of some of the writers sitting in on the co-writing sessions taking place. And while co-writing seems to be the predominant method in Nashville these days, Lidell doesn’t believe it has done anything to improve the art or commerce of country music.
In another article, Cooper covers co-writing exclusively, noting that the last time a No. 1 country song was written by someone other than the artist who sang it was way back in 2005, when Keith Urban took Rodney Crowell‘s “Making Memories Of Us” to the top.
And while the average number of songwriters on No. 1 Billboard country hits in 1961 was 1.12, in 2009 there were 2.53 writers per No. 1 country song. Four of last year’s Billboard No. 1s were written by four people apiece; many were written by three.
Further along in the article, songwriter Michael Kosser commented on the disconnect between the degree of craftsmanship and inspiration in today’s hit songs.
“That’s because when you have co-writers sitting down to write, their purpose is not to waste time. Their definition of ‘not wasting time’ is writing a song that can move their careers forward,” he said. “With a solo songwriter, there’s this piece of romance about getting your heart down on paper. That’s a different thing.”
- Free Download: Amazon is giving away the mp3 and accompanying video to Court Yard Hounds‘ song “It Didn’t Make a Sound.”
- Country Haiku has no qualms with a little dirt:
There may be a bit
Of dust on this ol’ bottle
I will still drink it
- Brad Paisley and friends celebrated the success of not one, but two No. 1s (“Welcome to the Future” and “American Saturday Night”) on Monday afternoon.
- The folks at The Bluegrass Blog are giving away five copies of the new Infamous Stringdusters record Things That Fly. Simply leave a comment about a thing that flies for a chance to win.
- Universal Music Group announced plans to place CDs in stores for $10 or less with the hope that the lower cost will be offset by increased sales.
- CMT has the new video for Brady Seals‘ “Been There, Drunk That.”
- Now that he’s back in Nashville part time, Larry Gatlin will frequently host the Grand Ole Opry’s Thursday night Opry Country Classics shows, which start tomorrow.
- Nathin Rabin covered k.d. lang and Dwight Yoakam in recent editions of his Nashville or Bust column.
- Music Fog: Joe Ely – “It’s A Little Like Love”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.