ACM Awards Nominees Announced; Musicians Hall of Fame Inducts New Members; Trampled By Turtles Announce Tour
- The ACM Awards nominees were announced this morning (the full list of categories and nominees can be found here):
Entertainer of the Year: Luke Bryan, Miranda Lambert, Blake Shelton, George Strait, Taylor Swift
Male Vocalist of the Year: Jason Aldean, Lee Brice, Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton, Keith Urban
Female Vocalist of the Year: Sheryl Crow, Miranda Lambert, Kacey Musgraves, Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood
Vocal Duo of the Year: Big & Rich, Dan + Shay, Florida Georgia Line, Love and Theft, Thompson Square
Vocal Group of the Year: Eli Young Band, Lady Antebellum, Little Big Town, The Band Perry, Zac Brown Band
New Artist of the Year: Lee Brice, Brett Eldredge, Tyler Farr, Justin Moore, Kip Moore, Kacey Musgraves, Parmalee
Album of the Year: Blake Shelton — Based on a True Story…; Luke Bryan — Crash My Party; Florida Georgia Line — Here’s to the Good Times; Kacey Musgraves — Same Trailer Different Park; Tim McGraw — Two Lanes of Freedom
Single Record of the Year: Florida Georgia Line — “Cruise”; Tim McGraw featuring Taylor Swift and Keith Urban — “Highway Don’t Care”; Lee Brice — “I Drive Your Truck”; Miranda Lambert — “Mama’s Broken Heart”; Darius Rucker featuring Lady Antebellum — “Wagon Wheel”
Song of the Year: Gary Allan – “Every Storm (Runs Out of Rain)”; Lee Brice – “I Drive Your Truck”; Miranda Lambert – “Mama’s Broken Heart”; Blake Shelton – “Mine Would Be You”; Darius Rucker featuring Lady Antebellum – “Wagon Wheel”
Video of the Year: The Band Perry – “Better Dig Two”; Kacey Musgraves – “Blowin’ Smoke”; Tim McGraw featuring Taylor Swift and Keith Urban – “Highway Don’t Care”; Lee Brice – “I Drive Your Truck”; Miranda Lambert – “Mama’s Broken Heart”; Carrie Underwood – “Two Black Cadillacs”
Vocal Event of the Year: Blake Shelton featuring Pistol Annies and Friends – “Boys ‘Round Here”; Florida Georgia Line featuring Nelly – “Cruise (Remix)”; Tim McGraw featuring Taylor Swift and Keith Urban – “Highway Don’t Care”; Darius Rucker featuring Lady Antebellum – “Wagon Wheel”; Keith Urban and Miranda Lambert – “We Were Us”
Songwriter of the Year: Rhett Akins, Rodney Clawson, Ashley Gorley, Luke Laird, Shane McAnally
Producer of the Year: Mark Bright, Dann Huff, Michael Knox, Frank Liddell, Paul Worley
Bass Player of the Year: Mike Brignardello, Kevin “Swine” Grantt, Mark Hill, Michael Rhodes, Glenn Worf
Drummer of the Year: Chad Cromwell, Fred Eltringham, Shannon Forrest, Greg Morrow, Lonnie Wilson
Guitar Player of the Year: Jeff King, Troy Lancaster, Brent Mason, Rob McNelley, Jerry McPherson
Piano/Keyboards Player of the Year: Tony Harrell, John Jarvis, Charlie Judge, Tim Lauer, Gordon Mote
Specialty Instrument Player of the Year: Glen Duncan, Larry Franklin, Jim Hoke, Danny Rader, Bryan Sutton
Steel Guitar Player of the Year: Dan Dugmore, Paul Franklin, Steve Hinson, Russ Pahl, Scotty Sanders
- Jim Fusilli remembers Pete Seeger in The Wall Street Journal.
- Jody Rosen on Seeger: [For] Seeger, showbiz was always a means to an end — a platform for his politics. He was uncompromising, ballsy; his demeanor was gentle, but his spine was made of steel. He was a blue blood second-generation Harvard man; he could have coasted through life. Instead, he stuck out his neck on every major social justice issue of his times, often at great personal risk. He was blacklisted and threatened with imprisonment. He stood up for his principles in defiance of the John Birch Society, the Ku Klux Klan, and the United States Congress, which held him in contempt when he refused to name names (or to plead the Fifth) in his testimony to the House Un-American Activities Committee. Through it all, his message was the same: justice, peace, community.
- This TabletMag.com article looks back at Seeger’s 1964 Czechoslovakia tour. You can listen to a 50-year old recording of Seeger’s show at Prague’s ABC Theater here.
- Barbara Mandrell, Jimmy Capps, Buddy Guy, and nine others were inducted into the Musicians Hall of Fame yesterday.
- Out April 29 on Sugar Hill Records: Bryan Sutton’s Into My Own. Guests include Sam Bush, Noam Pikelny, Ronnie McCoury, Bill Frisell, and Stuart Duncan. (via press release)
- The Country Music Hall of Fame’s All for the Hall fundraiser/guitar pull will return to Los Angeles on March 4. Vince Gill and Emmylou Harris will be there; so will Jason Mraz, for some reason.
- Check out the track listing for Dierks Bentley’s Riser, out February 25. Guests include Chris Stapleton and Kacey Musgraves.
- Bill Emerson & Sweet Dixie will release Dancin’ Annie March 4 on Rural Rhythm Records. (via press release)
- Dwight Yoakam was on Leno last night; watch here.
- If you missed the Country Music Radio Seminar in Tamworth (which most of us probably did), catch up with this highlight video.
- Make plans to attend the Johnny Cash Birthday Bash in Nashville late next month.
- Craig Shelburne of CMT Edge interviewed Hard Working American Dave Schools.
- Let’s hope the zombie apocalypse comes upon us before the summer release of this Motley Crue tribute record, spearheaded by Big Machine and featuring Brantley Gilbert, Florida Georgia Line, and Justin Moore.
- Here’s a video of Jim Lauderdale appearing on Good Day L.A.
- Bob Dylan’s going to appear in a Chrysler commercial during the Super Bowl. His “I Want You” is featured in a Chobani yogurt ad as well.
- Trampled By Turtles announced spring tour dates.
- Patty Griffin shares her thoughts about “being a weirdo” and her connection to the GLBT community in this interview.
- Rod Picott is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week.
- Stream Four Foot Shack, the new album from Les Claypool’s Duo de Twang.
- The Bluegrass Situation is going to host the Midnight Jam at this year’s MerleFest.
- Here is a Tumblr featuring nothing but gifs of Awkward Taylor Swift Dancing.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.