ACM Awards’ New Artist Nominees; Lyrics Street Signs Kevin Fowler; Guy Clark Tribute In the Works
The Academy of Country Music announced nominees for the top new artist categories, which will be fan-voted for the second year in a row. They include:
- Top New Solo Vocalist
- Luke Bryan
- Jamey Johnson
- Chris Young
- Top New Vocal Duo
- Joey + Rory
- Steel Magnolia
- Top New Vocal Group
- Eli Young Band
- The Lost Trailers
- Actor Clifton Collins Jr. directed and starred in a new video for Jamey Johnson‘s song “High Cost of Living.”
- Lyrics Street Records signed Kevin Fowler.
- In an interview with American Songwriter, Thad Cockrell talks about the process for creating his latest record, To Be Loved, and the decision to part with Yep Roc Records. Scroll to the end to watch an acoustic performance of “Rosalyn.”
- In another American Songwriter interview, Ray Wylie Hubbard talks about his new record, collaborating with artists like Hayes Carll and Slaid Cleaves, and writing the screenplay for The Last Rites of Randoms Pride. Don’t miss the acoustic performances of three songs from his album.
- Us Magazine has previews of eight of the cards from Taylor Swift‘s new greeting card line. (via NashvilleGab)
- The Devil Makes Three has a new video for its song “All Hail.”
- Country Haiku:
You are gonna change
Or else I am gonna leave
What? You’re leaving? Oh
- Rascal Flatts will celebrate their 10th anniversary by honoring more than 75 songwriters who have contributed to their albums next week at the Musicians Hall of Fame in Nashville.
- Sounds Country filmed Owen Temple performing an acoustic cover of Leon Russell‘s “Stranger in a Strange Land.”
- @JackIngramMusic: “Going 2 record a song for the Guy Clark tribute project 2morrow! I like Guy Clark… a lot. If u don’t like him then don’t follow me.” (Guy Clark tribute project? Score!)
- This Saturday (Jan. 30), the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum is offering free admission.
- Lady Antebellum interviews galore: CNN | Associated Press | The Tennessean | CMT
- Country California Fake News: Martina McBride Arrested in Cockfighting Sting
McBride’s behavior had grown increasingly erratic over the past couple years, from early reports of drunkenness at public appearances to deliberately inciting riots at some concerts. Recently, she even agreed to tour with the guy who recorded “Badonkadonk” and “I Got My Game On.” “That was when we knew she really had a problem,” said friend Faith Hill. But none of McBride’s prior conduct hinted at cockfighting, or at the pistol-waving confrontation with authorities that transpired at her sprawling Tennessee country estate yesterday.
- Hayes Carll, Elizabeth Cook, Jim Lauderdale and Grace Potter & The Nocturnals are scheduled to perform at the Americana Music Association’s annual showcase at SXSW.
- luckyoldsun: Something tells me I won't be able to buy Honey Pils on tap in "I Love This Bar"--but they'll have …
- Cheryl: Hokies football!
- Chad: My favorite part of autumn is chilly nights.
- luckyoldsun: Plowboy Records put out a great release from Bobby Bare last year--"Darker Than Light." It was as good as Johnny …
- bruce: Jim Ed Brown can still sing, and better than some modern-day tune throwers. CraigR - Can't disagree with any of your …
- Paul W Dennis: They are an interesting group. This song sounds more jazzy (Andrews Sisters, Puppini Sisiter, Ingrid Lucia) but for a folkier …
- Barry Mazor: What the "Americana" term brings to mind, by this point, is a matter of time and marketing. Like all …
- Paul W Dennis: I loved the Jerry Douglas interview and love the ideas behind his two concept albums Unfortunately I never had the opportunity …
- luckyoldsun: Barry, That's a good point, as far as country itself being a word that refers to a lot more than a …
- Six String Richie: Also, in regards to that article, Aldean's #2 complaint was "Nashville Copycats" and he gripes that people are copping Luke …