ACM Award Winners Named; Hall of Fame Inductees to be Announced on Wednesday; New Music Videos
- The Academy of Country Music Awards were held last night. Here are some of the winners (you can find a detailed list of nominees and winners here):
Video of the Year: Little Big Town – “Tornado”
Vocal Event of the Year: Jason Aldean with Luke Bryan and Eric Church – “The Only Way I Know”
Vocal Group of the Year: Little Big Town
Vocal Duo of the Year: Thompson Square
Song of the Year: “Over You”
Single Record of the Year: “Over You”
New Artist of the Year: Florida Georgia Line
Male Vocalist of the Year: Jason Aldean
Female Vocalist of the Year: Miranda Lambert
Entertainer of the Year: Luke Bryan
- Join host and 2001 Hall of Fame inductee Bill Anderson on April 10 at 9 a.m. as the CMA reveals the new members of the Country Music Hall of Fame. You’ll be able to watch the announcement live right here.
- Ronnie Dunn unveiled a new track called “Hey Haggard.”
- Documentarian Les Blank passed away at age 77 from bladder cancer. Blank made several films about musicians, including The Blues Accordin’ to Lightnin’ Hopkins and Sprout Wings and Fly.
- USA Today premiered Rosanne Cash’s recording of “You Don’t Know Me” (no, not that “You Don’t Know Me”), a song from the upcoming Stephen King/John Mellencamp/T Bone Burnett collaboration, Ghost Brothers of Darkland County.
- Lorrie Morgan and Pam Tillis revealed the cover for their upcoming album, Dos Divas.
- It looks like Kellie Pickler’s next album will be along the lines of the critically acclaimed 100 Proof. From Taste of Country: She confirmed that ’100 Proof’ producers Frank Liddell and Luke Wooten are producing the new effort, her first for Black River Entertainment, and most of the same musicians from her previous album will appear. Most important, however, is the sound she is going for on this next effort. The new album “is definitely going to be my country…[there were] too many suits and ties, trying to make the calls…This record will definitely be Kellie country, for sure.
- Peter Cooper of the Tennessean asks if Brad Paisley is country’s new rebel due to the subject matter found on songs from his new album: “In Paisley’s mind, and on the ‘Wheelhouse’ album, due for a Tuesday release, country songs can be dialogues, not monologues. They can be questions, not sermons. The world outside the rural South can be beloved and celebrated, not pilloried. And the rural South — where Paisley was born and raised, and where he chooses to live — can be a multidimensional place of complexity, humor and subtlety.”
- Clay Walker released an autobiography last week called Jesus Was a Country Boy: Life Lessons on Faith, Fishing and Forgiveness.
- Taylor Swift and The Band Perry are nominated for the new Billboard Milestone Award, which will be presented in May. You can vote for your favorite candidate here.
- Louisiana native Marc Broussard has a new album called Live from Full Sail University coming out tomorrow.
- Miranda Lambert inked a deal for her own exclusive footwear line.
- Stream “When the Right One Comes Along” from Striking Matches.
- The Kentucky Headhunters, Skeeter Davis, and Exile are among the latest Kentucky Music Hall of Fame inductees.
- Carrie Underwood is the cover girl of the latest People.
- Ruth Moody of The Wailin’ Jennys, will release her new solo album, These Wilder Things, on May 7 on Red House Records.
- Lauren Alaina is four songs deep into a new album.
- Travis Tritt will sing the national anthem before the NCAA men’s basketball National Championship game tonight in Atlanta.
- Jewel talked about taking on the role of June Carter Cash with Billboard: “The reason I accepted it was that it was such a challenge. I did a lot of acting a long time ago in ‘Ride With The Devil’ with Ang Lee, and had read a bunch of scripts after that. It was usually the girlfriend of somebody, and really not that interesting, when you have a full time career and the demands of that. The script for this was one of those rare chances where you actually had a real dramatic role. There were a lot of highs and lows with it, and it was such an opportunity. I was excited to see if I could do it or fail.”
- Rhonda Vincent, Michael Cleveland and Flamekeeper and Della Mae are just three of dozens of bands slated to appear at the 38th Annual Father’s Day Bluegrass Festival in Grass Valley, CA.
- Saving Country Music introduced us to UK country band Rattleshack.
- Grand Ole Opry historian Byron Fay looks at some of the institution’s most important events that have occurred during the month of April.
- Kacey Musgraves was profiled on CBS Sunday Morning.
- The Henningsens will release debut album American Beautiful on July 2.
- New music videos:
Bob Corbett – “Sydney from a 747”
Kacey Musgraves – “The Trailer Song”
The Band Perry – “DONE”
Dion Pride – “Let Me Make It Mine”
Rascal Flatts – “Changed”
Ian McFerin – “The First Cold Day of Fall”
Sarah Jarosz – “Kathy’s Song”
Tate Stevens – “Power of a Love Song”
Angel Snow – “Lie Awake”
Amy Speace with John Fullbright – “The Sea and the Shore”
Shinyribs – “If You Don’t Know Me By Now”
- Juli Thanki: For $2,000, I'd want to ride a unicorn in Central Park with Chely.
- luckyoldsun: Leann- I've biked a lot of laps around Central Park over the years. If I thought it would get me to …
- Leeann: No offense to Chely Wright, but while I expect that she will make a good album, asking for $175,000 seems …
- Juli Thanki: Ha! The best way to celebrate Connie Smith Day is by marrying a younger man. Mullet optional.
- nm: But was it Connie Smith Day all day long and then from dusk to dawn?
- Deremy Jylan: I heard that Jim Lauderdale documentary is some super-duper great movie stuff. Makes Scorsese's THE LAST WALTZ look like Wiseau's …
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …