ACM Announces Off-Camera Award Winners; Stream New Neko Case Song; New Music Videos
- The Academy of Country Music announced the recipients of some special and industry awards prior to the April 7 broadcast. Some of the winners include:
Keith Whitley and the Judds - Cliffie Stone Pioneer Award (honoring music acts that are pioneers in the country music genre)
Jason Aldean – Crystal Milestone Award (honoring a significant career milestone)
Blake Shelton – Gene Weed Special Achievement Award (honoring unprecedented, unique and outstanding individual achievement in country music)
Lady Antebellum - Jim Reeves International Award (honoring an artist or group for outstanding contributions to the acceptance of country music throughout the world.)
Guy Clark and Hank Williams - The Poet’s Award (honoring songwriters for outstanding musical and/or lyrical contributions throughout their careers in the field of country music.
- Sammy Kershaw, Joe Diffie and Aaron Tippin have released a new single together called “All in the Same Boat” to support their tour together.
- Lady Antebellum shared the track listing for their upcoming album, Golden.
- Here’s a new Laura Bell Bundy song called “Two Step.”
- Singer-songwriter Julie Reeves is the new morning radio host at WDGG in Huntington, WV. She’s competing directly against her ex-husband Cledus T. Judd who does mornings at crosstown rival WTCR.
- Speaking of Judd, Octomom stars in his new video for “Honeymoon,” a song that parodies Little Big Town’s “Pontoon.”
- Check out this cool guitar made with a 3D printer.
- Rascal Flatts announced their Live and Loud Tour, which will kick off May 31.
- Barbara Mandrell will be coming out of retirement to sing at George Jones’ final Nashville concert this November.
- Bryan White has a Kickstarter-funded album that will be released later this year.
- Meghan Linsey doesn’t rule out a Steel Magnolia reunion.
- Thompson Square talked with Chuck Dauphin at Billboard about their “more focused” sophomore album: “I get the sophomore thing – about having your whole life to write for that first album, but at the same time, you can’t put every song that you wrote for it on there. We had a lot left over. But, It seemed like what we found from the outside really fit the mood. We felt very fortunate. I think from a song quality standpoint, it’s even better than the first one.”
- Stream “That’s Who I Am,” a Neko Case song from the upcoming John Mellencamp, Stephen King, and T Bone Burnett project, Ghost Brothers of Darkland County.
- A pending bill would allow the city of Montgomery, Alabama to assume ownership of the cemetery in which Hank Williams is buried.
- Country California posted a new edition of Quotable Country.
- Mark Kroos plays “Dueling Banjos” with… himself in a very fun video.
- Kenny Chesney has a new line of signature sunglasses.
- Mountain Heart fiddler Jim VanCleve contracted Dengue Fever during a visit St. Croix last week.
- Charlie Daniels Band manager David Corlew celebrated his 40th year with the band.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Darius Rucker – “Wagon Wheel”
Lindi Ortega – “Murder of Crows”
Kip Moore – “Hey Pretty Girl”
Rose Falcon – “If Love Had a Heart”
Kristen Kelly – “He Loves to Make Me Cry”
Cody Belew – “Baby Get Out”
Brett Eldredge – “Don’t Ya”
Reckless Kelly – “All Aboard”
Crystal Bowersox – “Dead Weight”
You Knew Me When – “Lucky Me”
Lia Rose – “Snake in the Water”
Jason Aldean – “1994”
Whiskey Myers – “Virginia”
Nell Robinson and Jim Nunally – “Life in the Garden”
The New Black 7 – “Crazy All Over Me”
Chris King and Jamie Lin Wilson – “Man Enough”
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."