Aces Beat Kings: Charley Pride Bests Luke Bryan
- Luke Bryan got his butt whipped by Charley Pride at a charity poker event in Las Vegas last week.
“I made the final table with Charley. He and I were the chip leaders. There were about four people left, and I got dealt a pair of kings – the money hand. I bet BIG and Charley went all in, and I called him. I was sure I was going to kick his butt. I flipped my kings over, and then he flipped a pair of aces and tore me apart with his winning hand. It was awesome. I got beat by Charley Pride. That was a fun day.”
- There’s a lot of good music to be found in Nashville Scene‘s “2007 Revisited” feature. Particularly in the “Five Women Threatening to Give Mainstream Country a Good Name” and “Best Local Country, Off the Row” sections.
- Kenny Chesney talks about what he was trying to accomplish as a producer on bandmate Tim Hensley’s upcoming bluegrass album and to prove his credibility he adds, “fact is I went to Russia with a bluegrass band when I was in college.” Good to know, Kenny.
- Despite his lack of sleep the night before Blake Shelton decided to do a little blogging instead of taking a nap. He mentions something about his choir kicking everyone else’s asterisks., too.
- Four country albums appear on Rolling Stone’s The Top 50 Albums of 2007.
- 18. Lucinda Williams, West: “The sound of one of rock’s great songwriters getting her demons out.”
- 24. Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, Raising Sand: “They harmonize with natural worry and warmth against a midnight-Mississippi chill in songs by Tom Waits, the post-Byrds Gene Clark and country singer Mel Tillis.”
- 26. Miranda Lambert, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: “Self-examining Lambert made the best album to emerge from Nashville since years started with ’19.'”
- 33. Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Ray Price, Last of the Breed: “Etched with the grizzly candor of old country-music soldiers who know the road behind them is longer than the stretch ahead.”
- One of the first members of Hank Williams‘ Drifting Cowboys, James Ervin “Jimmy” Porter, passed away on Saturday. “In his self-published autobiography, My Life as a Musician, he tells of learning to play the electric steel guitar when he was 12 and joining Williams’ group a year later.”
- Country Mike wants your suggestions for Red Dirt artists and albums to check out.
- The Eagles turned down an offer to play at the next Super Bowl, but Don Henley says they’d probably accept an offer to play on the Grand Ole Opry.
- A federal judge ruled that Stonewall Jackson could pursue his lawsuit against the Opry on grounds of breach of contract, retaliation and age discrimination, but a lawyer for Opry General Manager Peter Fisher says the ruling is “purely procedural in nature.”
- Country Universe‘s “The Fifty Best Single of 2007″ continues on with part three, numbers 30-21.
- The release of Joe Ely’s Live Cactus album has been pushed back from a January release to March 11th. The record was initially intended as a limited release, but the growing consumer demand and response was overwhelming enough for them to delay the release in order to manufacture more CDs. The album was recorded live at the Cactus Cafe in Austin, TX with Joel Guzman and features Ryan Bingham on one of the tracks.
- The CMT staffers chose a lot of solid albums as their favorites from 2007.
- Trace Adkins if the first artist to participate in a promotion with Xbox 360. “The sweepstakes will run across 160 Clear Channel radio stations. The grand prize is a 30-minute backstage gaming session with Adkins, with travel accommodations included.” I wonder what game would be played.
- Paul W Dennis: MLB playoffs and the weather here in Florida finally cooling off a little. Also we get the Palatka Bluegrass Festival …
- Tony Branscomb: Peaceful Quiet Days In The Woods Watching Wildlife Playing.
- jenny patrick: my favorite part of autumn is the smell of a bonfire to roast weiners and marshmallows on .
- jeanie kinman: My favorite part of Autumn is all the festivals with bands playing Bluegrass music..Come on down to Ky Joe Mullins …
- Keith Saterwhite: My favorite part of Autumn are the beautiful colors on the trees, here in the foothills of the Blueridge Mountains.
- phillip Martinez: Thanks Joe, for always the great music.
- Martin DeSimio: Fresh apple cider.
- Jessica Whited: My favorite part of autumn is the chance to have bonfires with my friends and family.
- Sandy Kapphahn: Love the fall colors!
- Erik North: Caitlin Rose has become one of my favorite female singers of any genre in this century; and I think her …