Kris Kristofferson once said,” If if sounds country, man, that’s what it is. It’s a country song.” Engine 145 (the name alludes to the I-IV-V chord progression found in countless classic country, folk, blues, and rock songs) provides news and reviews about country and roots music: whether it’s traditional, mainstream, bluegrass, Americana, or Red Dirt, you’ll find it covered here, along with the occasional foray into blues and roots rock.
Juli Thanki | Editor
juli [at] engine 145.com | Twitter
Karlie Justus | Contributing Writer
Blake Boldt | Contributing Writer
Sam Gazdziak | Contributing Writer
Barry Mazor | Senior Columnist
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."