Roots Watch: Summertime Country — Remembering, Recreating, Responding
From its beginnings, country music has demanded give-and-take self-negotiations about what to hold onto, what to let go, how to find a balance between them and how to present the result.
Dom Flemons discusses the music and film that inspired him while making new solo album Prospect Hill.
“Country music speaks to you in real words. It’s not about tractors and dirt roads and all those things Nashville made it to be or allowed it to become. It’s about real life, drinking, cheating, family, love, and a combination of all of those things…I just hope that in my country songs, I can keep that alive.”
Carlene Carter’s lovely new album, Carter Girl, celebrates her family’s musical legacy.
For this Merle Haggard revival to really make a difference, someone is going to have to honor Merle in the modernizing way Merle paid tribute to Lefty and Rodgers and so many more. Time to get to work.
What happens after the last notes of “Sweet Betsy from Pike” fade away? Eric Brace and Karl Straub tell the story with folk-opera Hangtown Dancehall.
Latest Blog Entries
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.