Songs from My Mother’s Hand, the new album from 2014 Country Music Hall of Fame Inductee Mac Wiseman, was 80 years in the making. It’s worth the wait.
From its beginnings, country music has demanded give-and-take self-negotiations about what to hold onto, what to let go, how to find a balance between them and how to present the result.
Dom Flemons discusses the music and film that inspired him while making new solo album Prospect Hill.
“Country music speaks to you in real words. It’s not about tractors and dirt roads and all those things Nashville made it to be or allowed it to become. It’s about real life, drinking, cheating, family, love, and a combination of all of those things…I just hope that in my country songs, I can keep that alive.”
Latest Blog Entries
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.
- Leeann: Yes, if he had said that, I'd be with him, but e lumped all of country music, including the Grand …
- mrsandy: My understanding is Emmylou's concert was cancelled was because her 92-y.o. mother passed away.
- Erik North: I would have to say that, even though I agree that JTE does generalize about country music excessively, I also …
- Leeann: I think he generalized way too much, too black and white. He reminded me too much of Ryan Adams, who …