Songs from My Mother’s Hand, the new album from 2014 Country Music Hall of Fame Inductee Mac Wiseman, was 80 years in the making. It’s worth the wait.
From its beginnings, country music has demanded give-and-take self-negotiations about what to hold onto, what to let go, how to find a balance between them and how to present the result.
Dom Flemons discusses the music and film that inspired him while making new solo album Prospect Hill.
“Country music speaks to you in real words. It’s not about tractors and dirt roads and all those things Nashville made it to be or allowed it to become. It’s about real life, drinking, cheating, family, love, and a combination of all of those things…I just hope that in my country songs, I can keep that alive.”
Latest Blog Entries
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."
- Jack Williams: Lynch Blues - Corey Harris Countrycide (The Ballad of Ed and Charlie Brown) - Alvin Youngblood Hart Divine Object of Hatred - …
- TexasVet: Marty Robbins - The Hanging Tree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczpRc6_yBA
- Janice Brooks: Nice lineup I think I read today was the Emmett Till incident.
- Juli Thanki: For $2,000, I'd want to ride a unicorn in Central Park with Chely.
- luckyoldsun: Leann- I've biked a lot of laps around Central Park over the years. If I thought it would get me to …