2013 Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Dates Unveiled; Natalie Maines to Release Solo Record; New Music Videos
- Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks will release a new album called Mother on May 7. The album is produced by Ben Harper.
- Andy Griggs and Bobby Pinson have written a song, called “20 Little Angels,” about the victims of the Newtown shooting tragedy. 100% of the proceeds from the sales of the song, including iTunes fees that will be waived, will go to the victims’ families.
- The Academy of Country Music will reveal who will host the 2013 awards with Blake Shelton once their “Tweet to Unlock” campaign hits 25,000 tweets.
- David Nail’s “Sound of a Million Dreams” took the No. 1 slot on Roughstock’s Top 60 singles of 2012 list.
- C.M. Wilcox looks ahead at a list of highly anticipated albums coming out the first quarter of 2013.
- Jewly Hight, Chris Parton and Ann Powers discussed how Americana music left a mark in 2012.
- The Farm was interviewed by Lorie Hollabaugh for The Boot.
- The Texas Music Chart unveiled its most-played songs of 2012.
- The 2013 dates of San Francisco’s Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival were announced: block off October 4-6 on your calendar.
- Spin‘s David Bevan interviewed Caitlin Rose. An excerpt: “I used to be fast and loose with the term ‘country’ because I didn’t know what else to call my music,” she explains. “I still don’t. Especially now. It was just me with a guitar, so when anybody asked I’d just shout, ‘I write country songs!’ like a little asshole. But now, I don’t really know what it is. I can’t really fit anywhere else, so I just take the corner booth.”
- Grand Ole Opry historian Byron Fay listed his wishes for country music’s most famous radio show–and for many of its members.
- The site for Australia’s Country Music Channel posted an interview with Emerson Drive’s Danick Dupelle about the band’s new release, Roll.
- “Sources” say that all those LeAnn Rimes bikini photos are staged by her camp, who tip off her location to the paparazzi.
- The Eli Young Band’s Jon Jones welcomed a baby boy into the world.
- GAC-TV unveiled their list of the top 50 music videos of 2012.
- Chuck Dauphin of Billboard interviewed former American Idol competitor Jason Castro–he was the one with the long dreadlocks–about his album, Only a Mountain, that’s coming out next week.
- The Lone Bellow’s self-titled album is streaming on NPR.
- New music videos:
LeAnn Rimes – “Borrowed”
Josh Abbott Band – “Touch” and three other live performances for CMT
Shaun Anton – “See You Again”
Lindsay Bruce – “Stupid and Seventeen”
Doug Briney – “Déjà vu All Over Again”
The Bone Collector featuring Rhett Akins and Dallas Davidson – “My Baby Looks Good in Camouflage”
Miley Cyrus – “Jolene”
Josh Doyle – “Everyone’s Alone”
- Paul W Dennis: Tom T & Dixie Hall are good people and I wish them all the best through this difficult time
- Paul W Dennis: Actually , it is not. We have so thoroughly debased our language that it is no longer possible to praise …
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …