2013 Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Dates Unveiled; Natalie Maines to Release Solo Record; New Music Videos
- Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks will release a new album called Mother on May 7. The album is produced by Ben Harper.
- Andy Griggs and Bobby Pinson have written a song, called “20 Little Angels,” about the victims of the Newtown shooting tragedy. 100% of the proceeds from the sales of the song, including iTunes fees that will be waived, will go to the victims’ families.
- The Academy of Country Music will reveal who will host the 2013 awards with Blake Shelton once their “Tweet to Unlock” campaign hits 25,000 tweets.
- David Nail’s “Sound of a Million Dreams” took the No. 1 slot on Roughstock’s Top 60 singles of 2012 list.
- C.M. Wilcox looks ahead at a list of highly anticipated albums coming out the first quarter of 2013.
- Jewly Hight, Chris Parton and Ann Powers discussed how Americana music left a mark in 2012.
- The Farm was interviewed by Lorie Hollabaugh for The Boot.
- The Texas Music Chart unveiled its most-played songs of 2012.
- The 2013 dates of San Francisco’s Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival were announced: block off October 4-6 on your calendar.
- Spin‘s David Bevan interviewed Caitlin Rose. An excerpt: “I used to be fast and loose with the term ‘country’ because I didn’t know what else to call my music,” she explains. “I still don’t. Especially now. It was just me with a guitar, so when anybody asked I’d just shout, ‘I write country songs!’ like a little asshole. But now, I don’t really know what it is. I can’t really fit anywhere else, so I just take the corner booth.”
- Grand Ole Opry historian Byron Fay listed his wishes for country music’s most famous radio show–and for many of its members.
- The site for Australia’s Country Music Channel posted an interview with Emerson Drive’s Danick Dupelle about the band’s new release, Roll.
- “Sources” say that all those LeAnn Rimes bikini photos are staged by her camp, who tip off her location to the paparazzi.
- The Eli Young Band’s Jon Jones welcomed a baby boy into the world.
- GAC-TV unveiled their list of the top 50 music videos of 2012.
- Chuck Dauphin of Billboard interviewed former American Idol competitor Jason Castro–he was the one with the long dreadlocks–about his album, Only a Mountain, that’s coming out next week.
- The Lone Bellow’s self-titled album is streaming on NPR.
- New music videos:
LeAnn Rimes – “Borrowed”
Josh Abbott Band – “Touch” and three other live performances for CMT
Shaun Anton – “See You Again”
Lindsay Bruce – “Stupid and Seventeen”
Doug Briney – “Déjà vu All Over Again”
The Bone Collector featuring Rhett Akins and Dallas Davidson – “My Baby Looks Good in Camouflage”
Miley Cyrus – “Jolene”
Josh Doyle – “Everyone’s Alone”
- luckyoldsun: Something tells me I won't be able to buy Honey Pils on tap in "I Love This Bar"--but they'll have …
- Cheryl: Hokies football!
- Chad: My favorite part of autumn is chilly nights.
- luckyoldsun: Plowboy Records put out a great release from Bobby Bare last year--"Darker Than Light." It was as good as Johnny …
- bruce: Jim Ed Brown can still sing, and better than some modern-day tune throwers. CraigR - Can't disagree with any of your …
- Paul W Dennis: They are an interesting group. This song sounds more jazzy (Andrews Sisters, Puppini Sisiter, Ingrid Lucia) but for a folkier …
- Barry Mazor: What the "Americana" term brings to mind, by this point, is a matter of time and marketing. Like all …
- Paul W Dennis: I loved the Jerry Douglas interview and love the ideas behind his two concept albums Unfortunately I never had the opportunity …
- luckyoldsun: Barry, That's a good point, as far as country itself being a word that refers to a lot more than a …
- Six String Richie: Also, in regards to that article, Aldean's #2 complaint was "Nashville Copycats" and he gripes that people are copping Luke …