2013 Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Dates Unveiled; Natalie Maines to Release Solo Record; New Music Videos
- Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks will release a new album called Mother on May 7. The album is produced by Ben Harper.
- Andy Griggs and Bobby Pinson have written a song, called “20 Little Angels,” about the victims of the Newtown shooting tragedy. 100% of the proceeds from the sales of the song, including iTunes fees that will be waived, will go to the victims’ families.
- The Academy of Country Music will reveal who will host the 2013 awards with Blake Shelton once their “Tweet to Unlock” campaign hits 25,000 tweets.
- David Nail’s “Sound of a Million Dreams” took the No. 1 slot on Roughstock’s Top 60 singles of 2012 list.
- C.M. Wilcox looks ahead at a list of highly anticipated albums coming out the first quarter of 2013.
- Jewly Hight, Chris Parton and Ann Powers discussed how Americana music left a mark in 2012.
- The Farm was interviewed by Lorie Hollabaugh for The Boot.
- The Texas Music Chart unveiled its most-played songs of 2012.
- The 2013 dates of San Francisco’s Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival were announced: block off October 4-6 on your calendar.
- Spin‘s David Bevan interviewed Caitlin Rose. An excerpt: “I used to be fast and loose with the term ‘country’ because I didn’t know what else to call my music,” she explains. “I still don’t. Especially now. It was just me with a guitar, so when anybody asked I’d just shout, ‘I write country songs!’ like a little asshole. But now, I don’t really know what it is. I can’t really fit anywhere else, so I just take the corner booth.”
- Grand Ole Opry historian Byron Fay listed his wishes for country music’s most famous radio show–and for many of its members.
- The site for Australia’s Country Music Channel posted an interview with Emerson Drive’s Danick Dupelle about the band’s new release, Roll.
- “Sources” say that all those LeAnn Rimes bikini photos are staged by her camp, who tip off her location to the paparazzi.
- The Eli Young Band’s Jon Jones welcomed a baby boy into the world.
- GAC-TV unveiled their list of the top 50 music videos of 2012.
- Chuck Dauphin of Billboard interviewed former American Idol competitor Jason Castro–he was the one with the long dreadlocks–about his album, Only a Mountain, that’s coming out next week.
- The Lone Bellow’s self-titled album is streaming on NPR.
- New music videos:
LeAnn Rimes – “Borrowed”
Josh Abbott Band – “Touch” and three other live performances for CMT
Shaun Anton – “See You Again”
Lindsay Bruce – “Stupid and Seventeen”
Doug Briney – “Déjà vu All Over Again”
The Bone Collector featuring Rhett Akins and Dallas Davidson – “My Baby Looks Good in Camouflage”
Miley Cyrus – “Jolene”
Josh Doyle – “Everyone’s Alone”
- Six String Richie: It's great to hear that Sundy Best has a new album coming out. I really encourage anybody that reads …
- Louie: "Brotherly Love," IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith's …
- Erik North: A big loss for not only the Nashville songwriting community, but for songwriting communities everywhere, in my opinion, that Paul …
- luckyoldsun: If they're only allowed one modern inductee per year in the H-o-F, then there's a backlog developing. You have Skaggs, …
- Leeann Ward: I'm not an ETC fan, but I do love "Brotherly Love" with Keith Whitley.
- luckyoldsun: It's got to be "What I'd Say." (I think that's the title.) There was some question, I believe, over whether …
- Paul W Dennis: probably "Nobody Falls Like A Fool" or "Silent Treatment"
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Where in heck's name is "That Was A Close One"?!?!? It's the guy's best song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrR_2rXiKA0
- Cody: Love seeing ETC getting some credit! My five, in no particular order at first; Crowd Around the Corner Home So Fine I Have …
- Juli Thanki: I think it's technically a Keith Whitley song, but I've always been fond of his duet with ETC, "Brotherly Love."