2010 ACM Award Winners; Carrie Underwood, Miranda Lambert, & Brad Paisley Set New Marks
- With her win at last night’s ACM Awards, Carrie Underwood became the first woman to win entertainer of the year twice. Other notable facts from the ACM Awards website: Brad Paisley is the only artist to win three or more consecutive honors in the top male vocalist of the year category (last night was his fourth consecutive win), Brooks & Dunn hold the most ACM trophies (27), and Miranda Lambert is the first solo female artist to ever win two album of the year awards.
- Terry Hobbs, the stepfather of one of three boys slain in 1993, was ordered to pay Dixie Chicks singer Natalie Maines‘ legals costs in a defamation lawsuit he filed against the band.
- On Valentine’s Day 2009 Robert Earl Keen graced Mountain Stage with a performance in his red long john underwear. The audio for that show is now online.
- Country California: Quotable Country – 04/19/10 Edition
I learned that Lady Antebellum’s Hillary Scott listens to Justin Bieber’s music to get pumped before shows. [...] And that Eric Church brings real wine glasses with him on tour so he doesn’t have to drink wine out of paper or plastic cups. ●
-– Alison Bonaguro on things learned from the latest issue of People Country. You know, I think Hillary Scott might have gotten off cleaner in this round. What kind of an outlaw insists on real wine glasses?
- DFW.com’s Preston Jones reported that Patty Griffin‘s performance at House of Blues on Friday night was spiritual in every sense of the word, even moving many in the crowd to tears with the song “Coming Home to Me.”
- Ray Benson is set to host a new half-hour TV show in Austin titled Texas Music Scene. The first episode airs on April 24 and features Kevin Fowler, Aaron Watson, and Ray Wylie Hubbard.
- Garth Brooks visited the White House last week to exchange Grammy Awards with the president.
- Kix Brooks and Ronnie Dunn shared a few noteworthy memories from their career.
- Austin Music Source’s Pete Mongillo recapped Saturday’s events at Old Settler’s Music Festival.
- New videos from CMT:
- Free Download: Snag a copy of Merle Haggard‘s “I Am What I Am” at No Depression.
- The full list of winners for the 2010 ACM Awards are:
- ENTERTAINER OF THE YEAR
- TOP MALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR
- TOP FEMALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR
- TOP VOCAL GROUP OF THE YEAR
- TOP VOCAL DUO OF THE YEAR
Brooks & Dunn
- TOP NEW SOLO VOCALIST OF THE YEAR
- TOP NEW VOCAL DUO OF THE YEAR
Joey + Rory
- TOP NEW VOCAL GROUP OF THE YEAR
- TOP NEW ARTIST
- ALBUM OF THE YEAR [Awarded to Artist(s)/Producer(s)/Record Company(s)]
Revolution – Miranda Lambert (Columbia Nashville)
Produced by: Frank Liddell, Mike Wrucke
- SINGLE RECORD OF THE YEAR [Awarded to Artist(s)/Producer(s)/Record Company(s)]
Need You Now – Lady Antebellum (Capitol Records Nashville)
Produced by: Lady Antebellum, Paul Worley
- SONG OF THE YEAR [Awarded to Composer(s)/Publisher(s)/Artist(s)]
Need You Now – Lady Antebellum
Composers: Dave Haywood, Josh Kear, Charles Kelley, Hillary Scott
Publishers: EMI Foray Music (SESAC), Darth Buddha (ASCAP), Dwhaywood Music (BMI), Hillary Dawn Publishing (SESAC), Radiobullets Publishing (BMI), Warner-Tamerlane Publishing Corp. (BMI), Year Of The Dog Music (ASCAP)
- VIDEO OF THE YEAR [Awarded to Producer(s)/Director(s)/Artist(s)] (Off Camera Award)
White Liar – Miranda Lambert
Producer: Tameron Hedge
Director: Chris Hicky
- VOCAL EVENT OF THE YEAR [Awarded to Artist(s)/Producer(s)/ Record Company(s)] (Off Camera Award)
Hillbilly Bone – Blake Shelton featuring Trace Adkins (Reprise Records / Warner Music Nashville)
Producer: Scott Hendricks
- TRIPLE CROWN AWARD WINNER
- THE HOME DEPOT HUMANITARIAN AWARD
- ENTERTAINER OF THE YEAR
- That Nashville Sound doled out its own pseudo awards for last night’s ceremony, including: The Biggest Over-Use Of Abs, The Holy Moly They Got It Right Award, and The Awkward High Five Of The Night Award.
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."