Brandy Clark’s remarkably accessible and strikingly original first album, 12 Stories, seems certain to be recalled as one of the groundbreaking country music debuts of this era.
Where others see anecdotes, Nora Jane Struthers sees songs. Storytelling has been the lifeblood of her music since she stopped teaching English at a charter school in Brooklyn five years ago and moved to Nashville to pursue a new career as a singer and songwriter.
Ricky Skaggs adds to his extensive list of accomplishments with the release of his new memoir, Kentucky Traveler: My Life in Music.
While singer-songwriter Marshall Chapman has had plenty of opportunities to burn out over the years—including the time her hair caught fire one night at Billy Joe Shaver’s house—she’s instead blazed a hot trail through her life.
What the mainstream success of “Wagon Wheel” can tell us about the practical interaction of roots music and pop, of blues and country, of regional and racial experiences, of songwriters and free-floating verses, and what makes what butt shake when.
Latest Blog Entries
- Barry Mazor: That any version of "Sound of Music" would be "trying to replace the cats of the movie" is an hysterically …
- TexasVet: The Von Trapps had some stinging comments concerning Underwood’s “Spound of Music” part. I think they pose some legitimate …
- tncheesehead: reading the story behind the Paisley/Underwood lawsuit I would guess that yes the idea was stolen - too many coincidences …
- BRUCE: Interesting lawsuit against Paisley & Underwood plus Sony. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The Von Trapps …
- Country fan: Hunter is very good, I wish he would do some traditional country music.
- Luckyoldsun: Well, Hunter plays a mean accordion on Jambalaya!
- Country fan: Merle is one of the greatest talents in music.
- Country fan: Could not agree more with Bruce !
- Janice Brooks: The Kenny and Amanda Smith track is in rotation her. Hoping for a promo from Brennen and Noel.
- SunsetPark: www.dictionary.com today has "5 Famous Words of Country Music" on their front page. It includes honky-tonk (with a reference …